There are very few foods that are considered “freebies” when it comes to preparing for a competition, but cucumbers, onions, and mustard happen to be among the few low calorie, high-water-content foods. I came up with this recipe as my competition neared and my nutrition decreased. This recipe makes several servings and typically lasts me all week.
- 6-7 cucumbers, outer skin removed, if you wish, and sliced with a potato peeler
- 2 medium red onions, sliced
- 1 bunch fresh dill, de-stemmed and finely chopped
- 4 oz. whole grain Dijon mustard
- 4 oz. regular Dijon mustard
- 16 oz. apple cider vinegar
Peel cucumbers, first removing and discarding the dark green outer skin. Then, continue to slice the cucumbers into long, thin slices using the potato peeler, placing the long slices in a large mixing bowl.
Thinly slice the 2 medium red onions, adding them to the mixing bowl.
Mix in the finely chopped bunch of fresh dill, 4 oz. of whole grain Dijon mustard, 4 oz. of regular Dijon mustard, and 16 oz. of apple cider
Mix well, cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours prior to serving.